In answer to the call for more health care professionals not only in Region IV-A but also in the country, LPU Cavite Campus established the College of Allied Medical Sciences (CAMS) in 2014, with its first two programs: Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology and Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. Both programs are duly approved by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). Facilities for the school include didactic materials, audiovisual equipment, educational compact discs, certification study guides and a student library containing the latest editions of appropriate textbooks for additional reading and research. The Medical Technology and Pharmacy laboratories are equipped with the most state-of-the art equipment like binocular microscopes, water bath, incubator, spectrophotometer, disintegration apparatus, viscometer, refractometer, polarimeter, melting point apparatus, dissolution apparatus, HPLC, UV/VIS among others.
CAMS is committed to provide a leading edge in health care by serving as an educational resource to the region.
The College of Allied Medical Sciences of LPU Cavite envisions itself as a center of excellence in allied health professions in the local and international community.
The College of Allied Medical Sciences of LPU Cavite is designed to ensure the development of competent allied health professionals who have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills and proficiency needed in the practice of their respective professions, and the ethical values which are needed in the pursuance of the overall social, mental and physical health of the community and the country.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Technology
For BS Medical Technology:
- Demonstrate competence in the performance of laboratory test in aid of diagnosis, treatment monitoring and management diseases;
- Dedicated and service-oriented professionals who have developed commitment to render health services through community development;
- Exhibit an attitude of professionalism and leadership in collaboration with other disciplines; and
- Foster readiness to adapt current trends in the profession through research and continuous learning.
For BS Pharmacy:
- Demonstrate professional competence and ethical integrity at par with the national and international standards of pharmacy practice;
- Integrate basic pharmacy, community and clinical training, and industrial situation in solving community, family and individual health problems;
- Assist in the diagnosis and management cases related to drug side effects, dependence or deprivation, and other health problems prevalent at the level of the individual, family or society; and
- Contribute to the development of the profession through continued professional development and research.
For BS Radiologic Technology:
- Acquire and develop the knowledge of the various physical principles involved in diagnostic imaging and therapeutic application;
- Develop awareness of the risks involved in the application of various radiant energies to humans for diagnostic, therapeutic or research purposes;
- Develop the skills of proper positioning of patients in the different procedures called for in any particular study employing appropriate exposure factors to achieve desired results;
- Acquire wholesome values and attributes to contribute to the overall social, mental and physical health of the community and country; and
- Respond to the technological advancement in the field of Radiologic sciences through research and continuing educational development.
Nature of Profession
Medical Technology is a branch of laboratory medicine dealing with the examination of body fluids and tissues with the use of various chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic methods. It involves the application of principles of natural, physical and biological sciences to the performance of laboratory procedures, which aid in the diagnosis, prevention, prognosis and treatment of disease and maintenance of health.
Pharmacy is a health profession that integrates the health sciences with chemical sciences. It is the art and science of biological agents used as drugs for the prevention, diagnosis, cure and treatment of diseases of man and animals. The study of pharmacy is founded on the identification, discovery, isolation, synthesis and formulation of biologically active compounds for clinical use. Pharmacists are not just experts on drug information but also authorities on drug use.
Radiologic Technology focuses on the preparation of students in the delivery of appropriate patient care and the use of ionizing radiation to produce medical images for diagnoses. This preparation encompasses all the necessary skills to operate specialized equipment in a competent and safe manner with confidence, effectiveness and efficiency. Clinical experiences are provided in all areas of general diagnostic radiography as well as the specialty areas of computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and cardiac and vascular interventional studies. Students complete clinical assignments at a variety of health care sites during their clinical internship.
BS MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
- Lifelong Health and Wellbeing Programme
- Action Research in heart disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, obesity and anaemia
- Prevalence of parasitism and anaemia in certain regions/barangays
- Innovative approaches for sustainable health care technologies
- Case studies of breast cancer, tuberculosis and other common inflammatory infections
- Case studies of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Design, manufacture and integration of health care technologies
- Drug Delivery
- Drug Metabolism
- Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance
- Drug Utilization Review
- Facility Design
- Health Outcomes of Selected Drugs
- Geriatric Drugs
- Pharmacoeconomics and Pharmacoepidemiology
- Control and Evaluation of Cosmetic Products
- Survey on Cost Reduction of Health Care, Improving Patient Outcome and Satisfaction and Improving Population Health
BS RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGY
- Radiologic Nuclear Threat Countermeasures
- Emerging Health Care Technologies for Radiologists
- Biomedical Imaging Research Opportunities form Local and Foreign Agencies
- Measuring and Managing the Procedural Competencies of Radiologists
- Basic Research on the Use of Contrast Media
The College of Allied Medical Sciences has several laboratories for students and faculty members where they can perform experiments. Different individual laboratories are well equipped with modern equipment for individual courses. In addition to supporting the lab requirements of pharmacy and medical technology courses, these labs also provide necessary infrastructure for research activities.
The laboratories are equipped with the following equipment/instruments:
- High Resolution Centrifuge
- Gel Electrophoresis
- Karl Fisher Water Determination Apparatus
- Rotary Evaporator
- Tablet Machine
- Capsule Filling machine
- Dissolution Apparatus
- UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- High Resolution Microscopes
- Freeze Dryer
- Filtration Pump
- Carbon Dioxide Incubator
- Fundamental Chromatographic Instruments as well as other supporting equipment